Importing Blackboard courses into Moodle

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 Sukhwant Lota 1 Comments



So this week so far has been a pretty busy one, myself and Lewis have been transferring Blackboard courses into Moodle and it got me thinking about what what we actually went through.

We had about 75 courses to transfer which varied from a few kb right upto 800mb.

Firstly I wanted to see if it was feasible to manually transfer the content by having both Moodle and Blackboard open, saving a file from Blackboard and uploading it to Moodle and an average sized course took me about an hour keeping to the Leeds City College course standard, but a huge Blackboard course took about 4 hours!

Getting sick of downloading and uploading we decided to import the courses using Moodles own course import. This would take us anything between 2 minutes to 15 minutes to export, download and import a Blackboard Course into Moodle, a huge time difference. This was the way we ended up transferring all courses, which we managed to complete in 1 day!

Next, Blackboard courses seem to be programmed to look awful in anything other than Blackboard, adding strange section headings, so we had a bit of a tidy up todo, adding headers, fixing labels, checking links to documents. This took about a day, not bad considering.

And finally, creating and assigning users, luckily Moodle is awesome at this, I spent quite a bit of time creating a spreadsheet with all the new users (and some existing) all the courses they required access to, assigning the correct login Auth and assigning them as Role 3 (Teacher). Once that was done, Moodle took in the CSV file like a dream, and it was another job well done!

Plus it's only Wednesday.

Looking back I think we did this project as best we could have considering the time scale, it just took a lot of Blood, Sweat, Coffee and a bit of Google Docs.

1 comments: